Friday, January 6, 2017

I'm Honored

A Reflection
            

Occasionally either a colleague or a parent will ask me, “What does it feel like to be the NJAMLE Educator of the Year?  Have you gotten a lot of air time on TV and radio and coverage in the newspapers and blogs?  Has Oprah called? Oh, and what is NJAMLE?”
            With a wry smile and a humble shrug of my shoulders, I attempt to formulate an answer.  The first question: “What does it feel like to be the NJAMLE Educator of the Year?” may be the most difficult one for me to answer.  You see, I am honored to be recognized by my colleagues.  However, I feel the same now as I did when I heard my name being announced at the annual conference last year at Kean University: incredibly fortunate.  The outpouring of respect from my colleagues cannot be described.  I continue to feel honored to be held in this high esteem, proud of my students and their efforts over the years, respectful of my position as an educator who hopes to make a difference in the lives that he touches each day, and most of all, humbled. 
You see, there are numerous educators throughout this entire state who are doing outstanding work on behalf of their students, parents/guardians, colleagues, administrative staffs, school communities, and communities at large.  Some of this work is recognized, but a great deal of it is routinely taken for granted.  Without this “matter of course” that occurs daily, there are numerous students who would not have their futures being maximized in the same way if it hadn’t been for the selfless dedication of their teachers, my colleagues.  These individuals do not seek glory nor do they seek recognition.  Rather, they seek to discover and sometimes even create paths for their students to follow on the road to being successful, productive, and respectful professionals, parents, and citizens.  I happen to be fortunate enough to have been recognized by my colleagues, whose students are fortunate enough to be inspired by them on a daily basis – sometimes even without any recognition or glory.
Concerning the question about receiving an increase in the amount of media coverage, I did indeed receive a fair amount of recognition for my award.  Nonetheless, the recognition truly belongs to those who are inspiring their students to find their inner passions, apply their talents, and pursue their dreams.  Whenever I attempt to imagine a world without caring, dedicated, and committed educators, I immediately reflect upon the teachers who collect donations so their students can wear fancy clothes to the graduation dance.  I reflect upon the teachers who spend extra hours both before and after school to help their students to understand a concept, prepare for a competition, or ensure that past-due work must be completed so the students will be adequately prepared for the next academic level.  I reflect upon the teachers who help to conduct special fund-raisers on behalf of needy families.  I especially reflect upon all of my teachers, my mentors, and most importantly my parents who have supported me and inspired me to become the teacher that I am today.  Unfortunately, the media tend not to find these acts of sincerity and kindness to be newsworthy events on a more frequent basis.
Oh, yes.  Has Oprah called?  Not yet, but the Office of Veterans Affairs and the National Education Association’s Foundation did reply when I shared information about a special project that I had implemented in my classroom.  You see, the project was inspired by my colleagues in the Fordham University Digital Literacies Collaborative directed by Dr. Kristen Turner.  I was looking for a way to enhance my teaching, and the Fordham DLC provided me with an inspirational spark.  I decided to have my students take the color poems they were writing after completing a unit featuring Lois Lowry’s The Giver and enhance their poems with digital options.
As this project moved forward, it seems that my student Michael had written an outstanding color digi-poem (my term for a poem formatted on a technology-based platform such as an iMovie or Screencast) about our American flag.  Michael’s efforts resulted in one of the best poems I have ever seen a student produce in my almost 43 years in the classroom.  When I shared his poem “Stars and Stripes” with the Office of Veterans Affairs, they asked me to write a guest blog featuring both the digi-poem activity I has designed and Michael’s poem specifically.  My blog and Michael’s digi-poem were featured on the Office of Veterans Affairs website.  The posting was done on July 4, 2016 to pay tribute to our veterans who have defended our nations “Stars and Stripes.”  Furthermore, the National Education Association’s Foundation asked me to write another blog about the project and Michael’s special poem, which I have also done.  My blog has been featured, along with five digi-poems from my students.  Of course, one of the poems is Michael’s.  Congressman Leonard Lance invited Michael, his family, and me to the Congressman’s office where Michael was presented with a certificate and a flag that had been flown over the U.S. Capitol.  Incredibly, Michael earlier that day (through a bit of maneuvering on my part) met John K. Schwarz, the Executive Director of the USS Houston CA 30 Survivors Association and Next Generations, who has invited Michael to read his poem and lead the flag salute at the Association’s next conference. 
By the way, as I am writing this, the National Council of Teachers of English has posted a second blog of mine.  The first dealt with the digi-poem project itself.  The present one deals with my desire to “go the extra mile” on Michael’s behalf to secure for him the recognition that I knew he indeed deserved.
I am sorry to say that to date, Oprah has not called.  I did indeed reach out to her, but I guess she must have been busy at the time.  That’s fine.  I’ll still entertain her contact should she decide to initiate one.  I have sent her a copy of the link to my second blog, which once again features Michael’s poem.  I’m not going to let one disappointment sidetrack me.  Even so, I do recognize that Oprah gets a lot of contact from her fans.  I understand.
Be that as it may, please know that I am most grateful for the opportunity to have served as the NJAMLE Educator of the Year.  I have not taken this responsibility lightly.  To be recognized by one’s colleagues is indeed a reason to be grateful, as well as respectfully humble.
To the future educators who are recognized by NJAMLE (New Jersey Association for Middle Level Education), may I congratulate you in advance for the countless hours you have dedicated to the betterment and inspiration of your students.  To those who may not be fortunate enough to be recognized yet, please know that your students, your colleagues, your school districts, and your communities at-large appreciate your valiant and generous efforts more that they can begin to tell you.
Oh, and one more thing.  I stand ready to reach out to Oprah again and again.  However, this time it shall be on behalf of my colleagues who are being recognized by NJAMLE.  Let’s hope for a positive response for my next effort.  Ms. Winfrey, please read the message I have just sent to you and be sure to look for my upcoming messages.


            Joseph S. Pizzo has taught integrated language arts at the Black River Middle School in Chester, NJ for 42 years.  An adjunct professor at Union County College and Centenary University, Pizzo is the NJAMLE Educator of the Year for 2016. An executive board member of NJCTE and a former co-director and Educator of the Year, he also serves on the boards of NJAMLE and NJ Schools to Watch.  A member of Fordham University’s Digital Literacy Collaborative, Pizzo has written blogs about his digi-poem unit for the US Office of Veterans Affairs, the NEA Foundation, NCTE, and Digital IS. The host of podcasts for NJAMLE, NCTE, and NJCTE, Pizzo is a member of the NJDOE’s Council for Teaching and Learning and the author of Barron’s New Jersey ELA/Literacy Test.

1 comment:

  1. That's very interesting! I enjoyed a lot while was reading it. Thanks a lot for sharing this information. Whenever i need to do my paper i'm looking for help at writeanypapers.com service! Professional writers are able to help me with any type of paper! And this is just great, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete